Originally known as Middle Mount, the bastion was re-named in 1746 to commemorate the Duke of Cumberland who passed through Berwick on his way to confront the Jacobites at the Battle of Culloden. Berwick's fortifications were built between 1558 and 1569 when there was a real threat of invasion from the Scots. Berwick was the first northern European town to be defended by this system of rampart and bastion, the most advanced technology of its time. These defences were never tested as the Union of the Crowns in 1603 ended the threat of Scottish invasion. Cumberland Bastion was one of the five strong points set around the walls. This flanker contained short-range artillery that could scour the ditch with grapeshot, dealing with any enemy attempting to scale the walls.
Saturday 10:00-16:00 and Sunday 11:00-16:00 (no booking required
Entry at the top of Coxon's Lane near the car park. Entrance to the bastion is via a short tunnel.
Elizabethan Berwick (Walk)
Led by Catherine Kent, this walk uses some of the streets shown in the Elizabethan map “The true description of her Maiestes town of Barwick”. It follows on from a talk in the Town Hall at 14:00 but can also be enjoyed on its own. We will compare the map with today's streets, linking sites with their Elizabethan owners and tenants and finding out more about life in the town in Elizabethan times.
Sunday 16:00 (about one hour) (booking required)
Meet at the corner of the Parade Car Park, opposite Walkergate.
Elizabethan Ramparts (Walk)
Berwick's imposing Elizabethan Walls are an icon feature of the town. Why and how were they built and by whom? This walk will help answer some of these questions and many more. “I must admit the new wall is marvellous beautiful”, was opinion voiced to Queen Elizabeth in 1568, but what did the writer go on to say?
Elizabethan Ramparts continued: Built at a time of uncertainty, this was the most expensive project of Elizabeth’s reign. Today, a tour of these walls is the best way to see Berwick and get an overview of its past and along the way encounter conflicting consultants and medieval map making. Led by local historian Jim Herbert, this walk gives an insight into the history of these unusual walls that encircle the town.
Saturday 15:30 and Sunday 15:30 (about one hour) (booking required)
Meet at the Loovre, the coffee and ice cream parlour at the top of Bankhill and off Marygate. Some steps involved. Note this walk will be repeated the following weekend.